Designed as an alternative to conventional divorce, Collaborative Practice offers many distinct advantages:
- You keep control of the process yourselves, without going to court.
- As in mediation, the proceedings are protected with full confidentiality.
- Children's needs may be given priority.
- You and your partner commit to reaching agreement through a problem-solving approach.
- An atmosphere of respect preserves self-esteem.
- Open communication allows both of you to express your needs for moving forward and gives you new tools for effective problem-solving in the future.
- There is full disclosure of facts and information.
- Face-to-face meetings in the presence of specially-trained lawyers make negotiations direct and efficient and allow for mutually created resolutions.
- The Collaborative process helps both of you plan for your own future and that of your children and to begin new lives for all of you.